Cedrus Libani spring update

Before work
Top layer of soil and some soil from inbetween roots close to the trunk removed. Future base discovered.
And after work. New layer of Ibuki mix. In next two or three years I will try to remove this crossing heavy root.

Cedrus dedora update

This is garden centre material. It has been reported last year into its first training pot with bonsai mix.
Today, at spring cleaning session I removed a bit more soil just around trunk. It is old garden soil, and need to be exchanged to bonsai mix. With conifers we can not bareroot the whole lot in one go, so I’m trying to get that done in stages year by year.
As you can see at the left hand side I go deeper and new soil will be worked inbetween roots. RHS next year.
And finally after spring cleaning session with layer of new 50/50 akadama/pumice Ibuki mix.

My trees from workshop with Robert Porch, Phil Donnelly and Mike Boxy

JWP grafted to JBP roots stock before work
Of its existing pot
In its new Yamaaki pot
Korean hornbeam before work
Out of the pot, roots cleaned
Back into the same pot with new substrate
Mugo pine before
Out of the pound basket
In new Chinese pot
Sitka spruce before
After wiring and setting branches
Scots pine before second styling. This tree has got first styling at workshop with Pavel Slowak, two years ago
After styling
Another Scots pine. Collected three years ago from bog
And after first styling.

I had few more trees, they were worked too but I didn’t take pictures of progression. It was very productive weekend. I learned lot of. Thank you Robert, Phil and Mike