Recently worked. Field maples in development.

Before
After
Before
After
Before
After
Before
After.

All above started 2012 from pencil size seedlings. First 5 years in ground to bulk them, then transferred to current training pots and started from scratches. 🤔😉😁✌

Playing with Magic’s ceramic rock creation

Ceramic rock creation by Maciek at Magic ceramic
This rock is made with special pockets to place trees into. As you can see I have try one tree in one of the pockets and prepare other one for second tree. The mould of mix of sphagnum moss and akadama dust has been applied and the pocket has been fil with bonsai mix
I decided to use one variety of trees all over the composition. Common juniper “green carpet “
Some of trees I used where usual garden materials that have been styled last year but still in original garden soil
Two more trees fitted
Some of trees were repotted into bonsai soil last year.
Some less developed
Some bigger
The main tree at the top has good root system that I decided to partially use as exposed roots over rock, growing in rock grove from the top to the pocket at the base of the rock.
This grove has been filled with sphagnum moss and cover with keto. Other moulds at each pocket has been cover wit keto to.

Starting long time projects

Sitka spruce seedling
Fitting on the rock
Wrapped with sphagnum moss and black clinging film to keep roots moist and press to the rock.
Placed on the thick layer of soil to let roots grow into the soil and under the rock. Roots extension =>Roots thickness
Ready to go on bench
Second Sitka spruce fitting on the rock
Second one ready to go on bench
Third project. Rock itself.
Canadian tsuga seedling this time
Ready to go on bench

Cedrus Libani spring update

Before work
Top layer of soil and some soil from inbetween roots close to the trunk removed. Future base discovered.
And after work. New layer of Ibuki mix. In next two or three years I will try to remove this crossing heavy root.

Cedrus dedora update

This is garden centre material. It has been reported last year into its first training pot with bonsai mix.
Today, at spring cleaning session I removed a bit more soil just around trunk. It is old garden soil, and need to be exchanged to bonsai mix. With conifers we can not bareroot the whole lot in one go, so I’m trying to get that done in stages year by year.
As you can see at the left hand side I go deeper and new soil will be worked inbetween roots. RHS next year.
And finally after spring cleaning session with layer of new 50/50 akadama/pumice Ibuki mix.

My trees from workshop with Robert Porch, Phil Donnelly and Mike Boxy

JWP grafted to JBP roots stock before work
Of its existing pot
In its new Yamaaki pot
Korean hornbeam before work
Out of the pot, roots cleaned
Back into the same pot with new substrate
Mugo pine before
Out of the pound basket
In new Chinese pot
Sitka spruce before
After wiring and setting branches
Scots pine before second styling. This tree has got first styling at workshop with Pavel Slowak, two years ago
After styling
Another Scots pine. Collected three years ago from bog
And after first styling.

I had few more trees, they were worked too but I didn’t take pictures of progression. It was very productive weekend. I learned lot of. Thank you Robert, Phil and Mike